AI Pedagogy ProjectI am project lead of metaLAB’s AI Pedagogy Project (AIPP), a resource aimed at guiding educators in critically engaging with AI tools in their teaching. This initiative is tailored especially for post-secondary educators in non-technical fields, in order to address the opportunities of and concerns about AI use in the classroom. In early 2023, I noticed that while students were curious and intrigued with the availability of AI tools, educators and administrators were not equally equipped to meet the moment. Particularly in writing-heavy disciplines, there was concern—and confusion—about AI tools like large language models. We took this as an opportunity to build a site for educators to help them consider whether to engage with AI technologies in their teaching, and how to do so critically and creatively.
The project offers:
- A searchable collection of educator-designed assignments for integrating AI into syllabi, and doing so responsibly and critically
- Understandable AI concept descriptions designed to outline essential concepts and skills in a streamlined guide
- Recommendations for educators on how to begin their AI journey in the classroom
- An interactive tutorial on using large language models
- A resource list for further AI exploration, including related projects
The AI Pedagogy Project seeks to demystify AI, encouraging critical engagement and creative AI applications in education. It's an evolving platform, designed to adapt alongside AI advancements and their societal impacts, and engage students in analyzing and critically re-imagining the future of this technology. All assignments are adaptable to diverse pedagogical styles and classroom needs. The AI Guide offers a comprehensive introduction for AI novices and those wishing to expand their knowledge.